Deeply rooted within the music and environmental communities, Reverb educates and engages musicians and their fans to take action toward a more sustainable future.
Based in Portland, Maine, Reverb is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 2004 by environmentalist Lauren Sullivan and her musician husband, Adam Gardner of Guster. Reverb provides comprehensive, custom greening programs for music tours while conducting grassroots outreach and education with fans around the globe.
In addition to our greening work with bands and artists, Reverb also works to move forward the sustainable practices of music industry leaders, including venues, record labels, and radio stations.
We take a positive “work-with” approach and believe that being green is not all or nothing; many people doing some things will have more impact than some people doing everything. All of us can be active participants in protecting the environment and creating real, large-scale, and measurable change.
Wondering what goes into greening a tour? Here are some examples of some of the fan outreach and behind-the-scenes greening programs that your might find on the road; each tour is unique and can include any or all of these elements, plus some.
We have the opportunity to reach hundreds of thousands of music fans every year with a positive, uplifting message of environmental sustainability. These are just of few of the ways Reverb reaches audiences.
- Eco-Village | Festival-like village with environmental displays and activities to educate and engage fans
- Non-Profit Groups | Environmental organizations hosted at each Eco-Village
- Carbon Offset Program | Allows fans to offset their carbon footprint
- Volunteers | Reverb volunteers coordinated to encourage fans to participate in Eco-Village activities
- Eco-Concert Program | Takeaway for fans describing green initiatives of the tour and offering simple calls to action
- Jumbotron Slideshow | Includes eco-trivia, tour greening information, and text messaging campaigns
- Greening Website | Custom tour-specific site outlining all greening elements taken on tour, featuring resources and calls to action for fans
- Online Carpooling | Resource for fans looking to carpool to and from shows
We work with each band or artist to create backstage greening programs with the aim of reducing the overall environmental impact of their tour.
- On-Site Coordinator | Reverb staffer included in the tour’s crew to execute and oversee all greening elements
- Green Rider & Venue Advance | Custom rider creation and advancement of greening requests at each venue
- Biodiesel Fueling Coordination | Working with production team and drivers to arrange biodiesel fuelings from local and sustainable stock
- Waste Reduction & Recycling | Assistance with with large-scale waste reduction and recycling initiatives
- Hospitality & Catering | Coordination of eco-friendly choices backstage including locally sourced organic food, green cleaning supplies, etc.
- Carbon Offsets | Calculation and neutralization of carbon emissions created on tour