REVERB’s Quarantine Kitchen – Episode 11: Maggie Baird
We’re in syrupy heaven in episode 11!
Perhaps you know Maggie Baird from her work as an actress or musician & singer-songwriter. Or maybe you’ve heard of her efforts to help people and plant-based businesses during the COVID crisis by founding Support + Feed. Or it’s possible you know Maggie as mom to a couple of very talented musicians – Billie Eilish and FINNEAS.
Well now’s your chance to get to know her in a new role: chef!
See the video and recipe below!
Maggie Baird’s Vegan Butterscotch Banana Pecan French Toast (Gluten Free option)
- 1 1/2 Cup Non Dairy Milk of your choice (I use a combo of Almond, Coconut, Flax and Oat Milks)
- 1/4 cup ground chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional – Himalayan Black Crystal Kala Namak Salt – smells like eggs)
- 1 T nutritional yeast (optional)
- 6 slices of bread (best to not be super fresh, can be Gluten Free)
- Vegan Butter (Earth Balance or Mykonos)
BANANA PECAN BUTTERSCOTCH MAPLE SYRUP
- 2T Vegan Butter
- 1/3 cup Coconut Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 large bananas (or 4 small) Split in half lengthwise and and then in thirds
- 1/3 cup chopped, salted pecans
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup (or not – only if you want your topping more syrup-familiar)
OPTIONAL: Cashew Yoghurt on the side!
- Whisk together non dairy milk, ground chia seeds, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and nutritional yeast in a shallow pan such as an 8 “ glass pyrex pan
NOTE: Let mixture rest while you slice, unfreeze, or assemble your bread. Best if the mixture sits for about 10 – 15 minutes
- Heat up griddle to low/medium heat and add vegan butter.
- Dip slices of bread in mixture, turn once and coat each side (scrape off extra back into pan)
NOTE: If you are making both regular and Gluten Free French toast, dip the GF bread first
- Place dipped bread onto the griddle and repeat with as many pieces as you can fit on the griddle.
- Let cook on first side until slightly brown and crisp (but not dry and burnt)
- Flip and cook the other side of each slice until firm (but not dried out)
- When all pieces are done, and still on Med heat Add 2 T Vegan Butter to griddle, and add Coconut Brown Sugar and vanilla. Stir until sugar is melted and add Bananas, Gently stir to coat and slightly cook. Add chopped, salted pecans.
- Add Maple Syrup if you like a more syrupy goo.
- Plate it all up. French Toast, a little more vegan butter if you like (or not) and top with Butterscotch Banana Pecans. If you ike, go crazy with some Cashew Yoghurt on the side!!!