REVERB’s Quarantine Kitchen – Episode 19: MisterWives’ Mandy Lee
Episode 19 with vegan protein!
If you’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing MisterWives live, you know that lead singer Mandy Lee brings. it. The only thing more powerful than her stage presence may be her incredible voice! On this week’s episode, Mandy is bringing that energy to the Quarantine Kitchen and making a vegan twist on a classic comfort food.
Mandy joins host / REVERB Co-Director / Guster Frontman Adam Gardner to make Chickie & Waffles! You’re not going to want to miss this one!
Check out the episode and recipe below or download it so you can cook along!
Special thanks to our partners at Clif Bar & Company for their support of Quarantine Kitchen.
Chickie & Waffles
- Gardein chicken cutlets or 1 head of cauliflower or any vegan “chicken” substitute you prefer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, plus more if needed
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or crushed up corn flakes
- 1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
- 6 Tbsp just egg or any vegan egg substitute like follow your heart or flax seed
- 3 Tbsp Follow Your Heart Egg Vegan 4oz
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk, anything but coconut milk will work
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
- Egg replacer for the equivalent of 2eggs SEE NOTE
- 1 Tbsp canola oil + extra to brush on the waffle iron
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk (coconut milk not recommended)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Waffles
If you’re making waffles for a group, warm the oven at 200˚F (93˚C) and once made, put the waffles in the oven to stay warm
- Whisk the 1 ½ cups of unsweetened plant milk and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) together and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp of baking powder, ¾ tsp of baking soda, 1 tbsp of sugar, and ¼ tsp salt (omit if you
chose the applesauce egg replacer) together in a large bowl. Make sure the ingredients are completely combined.
- Stir the egg replacer, vegan buttermilk, 1 tbsp canola oil, and 1 tsp vanilla extract into the dry mixture until it’s combined.
- Don’t overdo it or the waffles will turn out tough.
- Heat the waffle iron and brush with a light layer of oil to prevent the waffles from sticking.
- Fill the iron with waffle batter (can use an ice cream scoop or a ladle to scoop out the batter, don’t over fill or the
batter will spill down the sides) and close the lid. Follow the cooking time for your iron.
- Generally, when the waffles stop steaming, they’re done, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- They should be a light golden brown and crispy on the outside
- Place waffles in the oven to stay warm
For the Chickie
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, thyme, cayenne, paprika and salt and pepper until fully combined.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the panko breadcrumbs or crushed corn flakes and poultry seasoning until fully combined.
- In a third medium bowl, whisk the vegan egg and plant-based milk together until fully combined.
- Dip a cauliflower floret or gardein chicken cutlet (I prefer to cut the cutlets in half so they are a more manageable size) in the egg and milk, then roll in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg mixture again, and roll in the breadcrumbs until fully coated.
- Heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches of vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat
- Working in batches, thoroughly coat each chicken piece with the breading, pressing extra breading onto the chicken if necessary. Place the breaded pieces on a plate.
- Add the chicken to the oil 3 or 4 pieces at a time. Make sure they aren’t sticking together, then cover the skillet and fry
for 5 to 7 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure the chicken isn’t getting too brown. Turn the pieces over, cover again and cook 3 to 5 minutes more. All the while, monitoring the chicken to make sure it doesn’t burn. Transfer the fried chicken to a plate lined with a paper towel to cool off and absorb any excess oil.
*If you”re feelin’ extra spicy I love adding hot sauce to my maple syrup or Agave to add a kick to the sweetness hot maple syrup*
- Combine 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave and 1 tablespoon hot sauce of your choice.
- heat on the stovetop in a small saucepan for a few minutes or microwave for 30 seconds
To serve: Place 2 chicken pieces on top of a waffle. Pour the hot maple syrup over the dish, with vegan butter substitute (i prefer earth balance) and any other garnishes you prefer and the best part…enjoy!
**For the Buttermilk Waffles**
EGG REPLACER OPTIONS
JUST egg and Follow Your Heart produce the fluffiest waffles, followed by the apple sauce.
Use 6 tbsp JUST egg.
Follow the instructions on the box if using Follow Your Heart vegan egg.
1 large mashed banana
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce whisked with 1 tsp baking powder.
2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp water, let sit for 15 minutes.