REVERB’s Quarantine Kitchen – Episode 15: DMB’s Stefan Lessard Part II
Fonz is back on the scene in episode 15!
Stefan Lessard is one of the world’s great bassists, but he’s anything but bass-ic in the kitchen! We’re thrilled to have Fonz returning to the Quarantine Kitchen to cook a dish that was inspired by DMB’s first gig at Trax.
Join Stefan and our host / Guster frontman / REVERB Co-Director Adam Gardner to learn how to make “First Gig Cashew Pesto Spaghetti with Herbed Tofu” and hear why it’s connected to DMB’s first show.
Check out the recipe below so you can cook along at home!
Special thanks to our partners at Clif Bar & Company for their support of Quarantine Kitchen and donating 1,000 Clif Bars to Stefan’s nonprofit of choice: Second Harvest Food Bank Orange County in California!
Stefan’s First Gig Cashew Pesto Spaghetti With Herbed Tofu
Cuisinart required for pesto
Gluten Free and Dairy free options
**Organic Ingredients if possible**
- 1 Cup basil leaves
- 1/3 Cup Roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 Cup EXTRA VIRGIN Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan or Vegan Substitute (nutritional yeast)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound of Tofu
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- Italian Parsley for garnish
- Regular, gluten free, or grain free spaghetti or pasta of choice.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Place the pieces of wet tofu between paper towels and put a plate or other weight on top to remove the excess water.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes and add to a medium bowl with the herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Coat a baking tray with olive oil or parchment paper and spread out the tofu.
- Cook for 40 minutes, flipping the tofu over halfway through.
- While the tofu is cooking, fill a pot with slightly salted water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Once the pasta is finished cooking, reserve a cup of the pasta water on the side and drain the rest.
- In a food processor add in the cashews and cheese and process until coarsely chopped.
- Add in the basil, garlic, and lemon juice to the processor and start mixing. Once combined, slowly add in the olive oil on a lower speed setting and process until fully mixed.
- Add your pasta to your serving bowl and add a tablespoon of the reserved pasta water.
- Combine the pesto, however much you would like, to the pasta and mix together so the pesto coats all of the pasta.
- Add some of the crispy tofu to the pasta and mix. Place some chopped cherry tomatoes and more pesto to the top of the dish.
- Optional: sprinkle some cheese or nutritional yeast to the top or other herbs of your choice
- Serve the dish to friends and family!