Meatless Monday Week 16
Easy Indian Chana Masala
Indian food offers a lot of great vegetarian options (and is a crowd pleaser here at REVERB). This week’s recipe is from REVERB’s Co-Director and Founder, Lauren Sullivan:
“This is THE best…serve it up over rice with a healthy handful of chopped spinach on top, along with some store-bought or homemade naan. It’s a palate pleaser!”
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes (+ more for rice)
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 to1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how much heat you like)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups marinara sauce (I always use Rao’s Marinara…it can’t be beat)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4c. heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chick peas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
Serve with rice of your choice, naan and top with shredded spinach for an extra healthy kick.
- Heat 1 Tbsp butter in heavy bottom saucepan. Add garam masala and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add cayenne, honey, minced garlic and marinara sauce with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and them simmer for 6-7 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add heavy cream and remaining 1/2 Tbsp butter. Heat the sauce for 1 minute while mixing ingredients. Taste and add salt as desired.
- Add rinsed and drained chick peas, stir to incorporate until chick peas are heated through.
Serve warm with rice, naan and top with chopped spinach. This meal also or make ahead for a great weeknight meal, as it reheats beautifully. Enjoy!